Pages

Friday 9 April 2010

More Animation!

Short story: New ANIMATION HERE!

Long story: I guess it tends to be the way with me that I'll do a few cartoons in a week and then announce to the internet that: YES I AM A PROPER BLOGGER! and almost as soon as I say this I lose all motivation for posting whatsoever. Well, it's more complicated than that really, you'll find out more about it when I start one of my autobiographical cartoons in the next couple of weeks. It's going to be called 'Gallows Humour: or How I learnt to stop worrying and love my brother's brain tumour'. Yes folks, this is the mysterious illness my brother has been suffering from. It's crappy to say the least, but we're trying to keep a sense of humour: we've also tentatively begun work on 'Cancer! The Musical!'

Anyway, the news from Being & Tim is that I've made another little animation, this one based on a cartoon I posted last year. The whole idea of the category of being functioning as a predicate, or a label, is all to do with St. Anselm's proof of God. This proof hinges on the idea that God isn't a 'normal' idea, but is rather an infinite one, and it seems as though an infinitely good God that did not exist would not yet reach the limits of our thought: but rather would have to be succeeded by an infinitely good God that did exist.

Kant's famous argument against Anselm is that 'Being is obviously not a real predicate': which is to say that existence in turn is not a 'normal' concept: it's not like 'being blue' or 'being hungry': whether or not the thing exists in the real world doesn't make a difference to the concept: if this is hard to get your head round then think about this: does a 1 kg bag of sugar that you have in your hand weigh more or less than a 1 kg bag of sugar that you are imagining?!!

As you can see it all gets pretty confused, but if this isn't clear then go here and watch the animation and all will become clear!

haha.

beccaxo

No comments:

Post a Comment