Pages

Monday 17 January 2011

Being & Tim's Holiday Snaps: Day 1

I've finally got round to drawing some B&T for my one-a-day-project: this is a picture from Being & Tim's holiday in Greece...

Here is what Wikipedia says about Plato's Cave and what it means:

''Socrates describes a group of people who have lived chained to the wall of a cave all of their lives, facing a blank wall. The people watch shadows projected on the wall by things passing in front of a fire behind them, and begin to ascribe forms to these shadows. According to Socrates, the shadows are as close as the prisoners get to viewing reality. He then explains how the philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not constitutive of reality at all, as he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the mere shadows seen by the prisoners'' 

That is to say: it's not a real cave.

For those of you who are interested, I am still doing my one-a-day drawing project, but have moved it to another blog, cos Being & Tim were getting jealous. You can find it at www.rasdyer.blogspot.com, and I'll update it every couple of days (my new year's resolution said nothing about scanning everyday! But I will do my best)

Another pic from Being & Tim's holiday tomorrow,

becca xx 

2 comments:

  1. This gave me a serious laugh, thanks. Big fan of Heidegger myself. I started following your blog if your still doing it.

    If you get a chance you might be interested in mine, it's about professional philosophy and how to prepare for it if that is your career goal.

    http://aretaica.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks William, yeah I'm still doing Being & Tim, but am just having a bit of a break. I'll check out your site though :), becca

    ReplyDelete