Pages

Friday 21 December 2012

T U and the End of the World!



So here are yesterday's and today's advent calendar offerings: T for Thus Spake Zarusthustra and U for Unhiddenness. I know the hermeneutic process of uncovering the un-hiddenness of Being is probably a lot less simple than the image implies, but I thought it'd be nice to let Being have a bit of fun for a change!



As for the Zarashustra quotation in the top cartoon the reference is from p 77-78 of the R.J Hollingdale 1969 translation, published by Penguin in the UK. Even after having done an MA dissertation on Nietzsche I still don't feel comfortable with Thus Spake Zarasthustra as a text. It is by turns philosophically perceptive and (dare I say it!) moving, but also confusing, obscure and downright mental in parts. I may do a week of cartoons based on TSZ, just because I feel it's a text that deserves more recognition: it's very multi-faceted, and you'd be surprised how radically different it is from the popular reading of Super-Nazi-Over-Men that gets thrown around. I also think Being & Tim could have some fun with Zarasthustra's Eagle....!

Lastly, a very quick sketch dedicated to the Mayans and the collective sigh of relief we all breathed at 11.12 today when the world didn't end. The inspiration is the following Kierkegaard quotation, which may or may not be correctly attributed, coming as it does from www.goodreads.com. It certainly sounds like something Soren'd say.

“A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.” Kierkegaard
I don't like to end on a downer, so here's a song....(those of you confused by the above sketch just skip ahead to 4.26)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ikNY3712g

OLD SCHOOL!

Becca x

ps. I'll be away from a scanner for the next few days, so you'll have to wait 'til Sunday for V and W. I can only blame the little baby Jesus and the annual celebrations of his birth.

1 comment:

  1. I would love a Being and Tim Zarathustra special! Agreed it's a fascinating text with some significant tensions (that just make it more fascinating). Also thank you for the youtube vid. Old school indeed.

    ReplyDelete